2018 Competition opens in late June – please check back here for updated details or our Facebook page
The Entry Forms for the 28th Official Great Aussie Pie, 23rd Official Great Aussie Gourmet Pie & 4th Official Great Aussie Sausage Roll Competitions are as follows.
If you were a successful entrant last year you would be well aware of the huge increase in business that success in the competition brings. Please take advantage of this support; talk to your local papers and radio stations, hand deliver some fresh pies/sausage rolls to them, get your customers involved, run a pie/sausage roll promotion, decorate your shop, motivate your sales team, your customers and all other staff to promote your pies…because, let’s face it, if you enter and actively promote the fact – you and your customers will be the winners irrespective of the final judging in September.
EOI is again the Major sponsor of this year’s Official Great Aussie Pie & Sausage Roll Competition. Please contact your local EOI Area Manager for great new recipes, or visit the EOI live demonstration bakery next to the OGAPC stand at Bakery World, for tips and demonstrations from the EOI bakers. For more information on EOI – please contact www.eoibakery.com.au.
Thanks to TNT, entrants are once again able to have their entries couriered from anywhere in Australia for the additional cost of only $45 + GST, per entry. (Please note that there will be an additional TNT remote area $30 + GST charge. To check your area, go to the OGAPC website, click on ‘Enter’, then ‘Remote Locations’ and select your state to find your postcode – Remote Location map is updated each year).
First time entrants – Enter in any 2 Categories and get a 3rd Category for FREE (Inc. Free Courier for the 3rd Category). Eg: Enter in 6 categories total and get 2 free etc…
Footy Pie – This is intended to be a fun class that revolves around the latter end of the footy season. This is a class that allows the entrant free rein as to the top design of the pie which must depict in edible form, their favourite footy team with a few basic rules. The overall winner will receive a Robot Coupe Commercial 5 litre bowl planetary Mixer worth $1,020.
Good luck and we look forward to receiving your entry form by Friday 25th August for couriered entries and Friday 1st Sept for hand delivered entries.
Daily results will be posted on the competition website at www.greataussiepiecomp.com.au & Facebook.
If you need more information you can talk with your local sponsors’ representatives or phone Dani, National Manager, Australian Pie Council on 0410 644 300.
We look forward to meeting with you in September and good luck to all competitors.
Official Great Aussie Pie Competition
We allow THREE entries in the plain pie competition from each establishment. This enables those pie manufacturers who make different kinds of plain pies to enter three examples of their work. We will accept both a plain mince, a plain chunky and a plain mince/chunky combination entry. The plain pie must contain either beef, veal or lamb. No vegetables are allowed with the exception of onion.
Official Gourmet Pie Competition
The Gourmet Pie is divided into 8 categories: (1) Game (Venison, Goat, Rabbit, Crocodile, kangaroo, etc), (2) Poultry, (3) Vegetarian, (4) Red Meat (Pork, Beef, Veal, Lamb, Buffalo, etc.), (5) Seafood, (6) Gluten Free, (7) Apple Pie* & (8) Brekkie Pie**.
Unlimited entries are allowed in each category of the Gourmet Pie Competition: i.e. you may enter as many times in the Poultry Section as you wish (Eg: “Chicken & Mushroom” or “Chicken & Corn” or “Chicken & Vegetable” etc.), as long as you pay the required entry and courier fees for each entry.
*Multiple Apple Pie types are permitted to enter this category. Apple must be the main ingredient in all, additional fruit is accepted. Pastry must be shortcrust for the base and lid. Top decoration is permitted. Entries accepted could be “Apple only” “Apple & Raspberry”, “Apple and Apricot” etc.
**Brekkie Pies can be entered as savoury (Eg: bacon & egg) or sweet (muesli & fruit).
Official Sausage Roll Competition – More Info
The Sausage Roll has 2 categories: Plain & Gourmet Sausage Roll. 1 entry is allowed in the plain section and unlimited entries area allowed in the gourmet.
Official Great Aussie Footy Pie Competition – More Info
This is intended to be a fun class that revolves around the latter end of the footy season. This is a class that allows the entrant free rein as to the top design of an oval shaped beef mine pie which must depict in edible form, their favourite footy team design/colours with a few basic rules.
This beef mince pie must be of good quality & suitable to be eaten at a traditional game of footy.
2 Pies with the same design are to be sent into the competition. 1 Entry per bakery.
This footy pie category is FREE to enter as long as you enter pies and/or sausage rolls into 1 normal category of the main Official Great Aussie Pie Competition. The only charge will be if you wish to TNT freight your footy pies in @ $45
The overall winner will receive a Robot Coupe Commercial 5 litre bowl planetary Mixer worth $1,020!
Once you have entered you will receive an entry pack with ALL criteria information.
Please refer to the Prizes & Sponsor Promotions 2017 doc on our website for further details
ENTRY DETAILS FOR THE COMPETITION
• Entry by official entry form only.
• When your entry is accepted, you will be sent an ELECTRONIC Entry Kit containing the relevant details, handy hints, PR advice, etc.
• All entries must be signed by the entrant – unsigned entries will not be accepted.
• All pies/sausage rolls must conform to the relevant health rules and regulations in their state of origin.
• The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
• All entrants declare that their entries will be produced for a minimum of 3 months following the competition and agree to provide the suggested retail price of their entry for judging purposes. Failure to satisfy this requirement will mean automatic forfeiture of title.
• All gourmet pies & sausage rolls must also provide a retail price and ingredients information sheet for that particular entry. Judges will take that price into account to ensure it could realistically be produced and sold for that price.
• All gourmet pies must use, as the base ingredient, the particular category entered. (Eg: A Seafood Mornay Pie must contain seafood as its major component). All entries must be produced in the premises nominated on the entry form.
ALL SYDNEY METRO ENTRIES MUST BE HAND DELIVERED.
*ALL COURIERED ENTRIES MUST USE THE TNT DOCKETS SUPPLIED. ENTRIES NOT USING THE AUTHORISED DOCKETS WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYMENT OF THE FULL TRANSPORT RATES AS PER THE TNT RATE SCHEDULE* (We will EMAIL the TNT con notes to you)
- All pies/sausage rolls will be judged to the set criteria by a professional judging panel.
- All entries will be coded and presented anonymously to the judges.
- The Official Great Aussie Pie & Sausage Roll Competitions will again be looking for the best in everyday commercially produced meat pies/sausage rolls.
- In the Gourmet Pie & Sausage Roll Competition the judges will be looking for innovation, creativity, presentation, aroma and taste. Full details of judging criteria will be available in your Entry Kit. Please remember that the judges are not just looking for a “value added” entry. Additional points will be awarded for creativity and innovation.
- A minimum of 4 pies/sausage rolls (for each category) are to be supplied for judging – they must be fully cooked out and ready to eat. Allowances are always made by the judges for entries that have to be frozen for transportation purposes.
- Although there are no set weights for the Competition, each pie entry must be a standard single serve lunch pie (Eg: party & family size pies do not qualify) or sausage roll.
IMPORTANT: Major Winners of the Competitions are given permission to use the title. “Official Greatest Plain Pie Maker in Australia”, “Official Greatest Gourmet Pie Maker in Australia”, “Official Greatest Sausage Roll Maker in Australia” or “Official Greatest Gourmet Sausage Roll Maker in Australia” for a period of 12 months from the announcement of the results of the 2017 competition.
ALL CORRESPONDENCE FOR THE COMPETITION WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL
|Courier pick-up days =
NB: There are some slight variances on dates. Each entrant will receive an email from TNT the week prior to the competition. The email will contain the pickup day and consignment notes to attach to your entries.
Victoria, Regional WA & Regional QLD – Monday 11/9/17
Perth, QLD, NT, SA, TAS & Regional NSW – Tuesday 12/9/17Hand delivered entries must be presented to the competition check-in desk on Monday 11th Sept between 7.30-9.30am
(any other day only by special arrangements with the OGAPC Office)